performance issues with zune hd

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM

I've been testing box2d out on the zune hd, and so far it's been very laggy. I've tested chipmunk on the zune and i can maintain over 30 frames per second with 50 objects on the screen, but this starts lagging with like 5 or 6 boxes colliding. It is only when multiple objects are colliding that it starts to lag, but that's not something that should be avoided =\ Is there anything I could do to get better performance. 

Coordinator
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

We have not really tried it out on Zune HD but we will probably have a mobile perf push sometime soon.  Right now it's primary target is XBox 360.

I am unfamiliar with Chipmunk physics but I will check it out.  I see from their project's page that they use Erin Catto's algorithms, and he is the brains behind Box2D as well.

For mobile, I would expect you would need to turn of continuous physics and reduce the number of position and velocity iterations.  It will slightly reduce the accuracy of your physics simulations but that is probably an acceptable trade off for an underpowered mobile device.  I imagine Chipmunk physics has a better default for mobile.

Nate