This project is read-only.

Box2D.XNA Update and Feedback

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:37 AM

The current "recommended release" is the port of r31 of the C++ version.  This is out of date by Box2D standards (which is at r70+ by now).

Our source code has been updated to r70 along with some XNA specific perf improvements.  Please try the latest version out from our "Source Code" section and let us know if you find issues.

We have a few tweaks to make, but we intend to have a new "recommended release" out soon which will include the latest port and additional performance improvements, along with some bug fixes.

Your feedback is welcome! 

Our philosophy is to stay as close to the C++ version as possible for easy porting (on our end and on your end) but we really want to have stable and performant physics for Xbox 360. 

We also intend to make Box2D.XNA as performant as possible on Windows Phone 7 devices, which will be a natural extension of the XNA platform in the near future.

So, if you guys are seeing any performance issues and can provide us with source code then we really want to take a look at it.  We have a set of use cases and performance benchmarks but being able to see how Box2D.XNA is used in real applications will be invaluable to our performance tuning, especially with respect to our latest Source Code version.

Thanks for trying Box2D.XNA!

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM

The windows versions of the project files appear to be incorrect, though it may be that they just won't work in my environment. I had to edit the Box2d.XNA project by hand, and replace all occurrences of 'AnyCPU' with 'x86'. I also had to correct the output directory of the debug build. I did not check to see if the testbed had the same problem.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:28 AM

I've updated the recommended release to our r70 port which also includes some nice perf improvements around not generating any garbage.

Blecki, I was not experiencing those problems but I made sure to not include the .suo in this release.  This means the solution will be opened with whatever VS config you normally have and the "AnyCPU" part is what will probably be picked by default since the solution contains x86 and Xbox360 projects.  I have no problem building with that setting in Debug mode (Rebuild All on Solution then launch Box2DXNA.TestBed).  You can change the "AnyCPU" to x86 in the solution properties page (right click Solution -> Properties) but you really shouldn't have to do that. 

I'm using VS 2008 Professional with Windows 7 Ultimate so maybe that has something to do with any differences we are seeing.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:25 PM
nfurtwangler wrote:  You can change the "AnyCPU" to x86 in the solution properties page (right click Solution -> Properties) but you really shouldn't have to do that. 

Not in this case. Whatever is causing this issue is also causing VS to handle the configurations improperly, which is why it needs to be fixed by hand. I've seen my own projects break this way before but I've never been able to figure out what caused it.