Box2D XNA Update

Developer
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I just wanted to start a thread indicating updates to Box2D.XNA. I'm currently doing updates to keep this in synch with the latest version of Box2D. This should be released by the end of the month.

May 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Hey, I know maintaining public OSS projects can be thankless and hard work, so I wanted to thank you for devoting so much time to maintaining this project. I was previously developing with Farseer Physics and just found it so cluttered and difficult to work with. It was somehow based on Box2D and yet the more it's updated the less and less I see of Box2D's functionality through the thick layer of unnecessary abstraction and helper methods. With Box2D.XNA, I had the DLL compiled in less than 30 seconds and had half of my Farseer code swapped over in less than an hour. The physics work flawlessly and the clean class design allowed it to meld seamlessly with my component-entity architecture. Thanks again!

May 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM
So is Box2D XNA up to date with the latest Box2D updates?
Developer
May 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Tiedmon, no Box2D XNA isn't up to date. There were plans to update the engine then Microsoft shelved XNA. If there's a lot of traction for updates, I'll devote time to an update.

May 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
But monogame is keeping xna alive and well! I'm wanting to develop with xna and box2d! I tried farseer but it doesn't seem as smooth. -Tedmond Melton
May 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Farseer is more up to date, but it has it's own problems. Mostly to do with the authors constantly trying to change the way things are done with the API. This has several problems. A) Nothing is 'wrong' with the way the API already. B) Changing the interface to everything makes it harder to keep up with changes in the C++ version of Box2D. C) The authors have no fucking clue what they are doing and pick terrible ways of doing things. D) They never follow through. The result is functionality scattered all over the place because they changed something half way and then got bored.

So. What major changes have been made to Box2D since the last time Box2D.XNA was updated?
May 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I quit with Farseer and now i'm trying out Box2D.XNA. I plan to develop something and port it using Monogame. Anyone tried this?

Anyone recommend any good tutorials on Box2D or Box2D.XNA?
Developer
May 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
You've actually inspired me to get back on Box2DXNA. You only need to replace the xna libraries with the Monogame ones and of course the appropriate include directives. Will try and get a Monogame version of the current build up over the weekend. If there's more interest I'll plan a further update to the current version.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 31/05/2013 4:58 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Box2D XNA Update [box2dxna:352350]

I quit with Farseer and now i'm trying out Box2D.XNA. I plan to develop something and port it using Monogame. Anyone tried this?

Anyone recommend any good tutorials on Box2D or Box2D.XNA?
May 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Awesome!!! Thanks!
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I read that Box2d was updated to fix the prismatic joint so it wasn't so "wobbly." Do you know if Box2d.xna contains this fix?